In 2013, Charles Forsman (’08) completed The End of the ***ing World, a look into the bleak lives of teenagers James and Alyssa. In 2013, then–film student Jonathan Entwistle create a short film of the comic. In 2014, he directed a pilot episode for a TV show. And now the show is coming to Netflix! Channel 4 launched the series in the UK on October 24.
- Brian Donaldson, The List: In the final analysis, The End of the ****ing World reflects poorly on parents with all the mums and dads on show having damaged their kids by abandoning them in one form or another.
- Chortle: [Charlie Covell] said: ‘From the minute I got sent Chuck Forsman’s comics to read, I wanted in.
- Dave Soliz, Nightmare on Film Street Podcast: The comics were successful for depicting the increasingly dark tendencies of James and the willfully ignorant, blinded love of Alyssa.
- Halli Goldman, The Playlist: Let’s all hope we aren’t obliterated before the debut of [this] new Netflix show….
- Victor Stiff, Film School Rejects: …it has been on my reading list ever since I heard it described as “Catcher in the Rye” by way of Badlands.
Originally published under Charles’s own imprint, Oily Comics, Fantagraphics has released a new edition in anticipation of the Netflix show. When it was originally released, it came out to great acclaim:
- 2013 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Minicomic, issue 16 of the original series
- Notable Comic in Best American Comics 2013, issues 1–7 of the original series
- A Wired’s Best Comics of 2013
- A Comics Alliance’s Best Comic Books of 2013
- A Comics Bulleting’s Top 10 Original Graphic Novels of 2013
- A Locust Moon’s Top 40 Comics of 2013
Post by Angela Boyle (’16).